Thursday, November 25, 2010

Speaking Out

Part of healing after sexual assault is being able to talk about what happened without shame. For this reason, I'm taking this blog public tonight. I have never publicized it to anyone outside certain circles where I knew it would be accepted and appreciated. There is acceptance among other survivors and I felt safe sharing it with people I knew would understand. The time has come to step outside that magic circle. Acceptance be damned; I am who I am - if you can't handle that, then do I really need you in my life?

I will be appearing on Hope for Healing's radio program Voices of Hope again, on December 7th, at noon. A link will be posted for anyone who wants to listen to the archive once it's up. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. once said that "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." Well, this matters. And I won't be silent anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment